- Cooking Time: 10 min
- Servings: 14-15 mochi
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 cups mochiko (rice flour)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Katakuriko (potato starch) or kinako (roasted soybean flour), for dusting
- Mix mochiko, water, sugar, chocolate, and salt in a bowl. Lightly coat a microwavable bowl with cooking spray. Pour mixture into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a microwave cover. Microwave 3 minutes on low, then 3 minutes on medium and 3 minutes on high, for a total of 9 minutes. This varies depending on your microwave. Cook until it is almost translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Let the mixture cool a bit so that you don't burn yourself. Many sites said to roll it in a tube or flat rectangle and then cut. I found it best to just use a wet cookie scoop.
- If you have silpat, I would strongly recommend it.
- Dust the mat with corn starch or potato starch and plop down a scoop of the mixture.
- Dip your fingers in the starch. Quickly but gently work the blob into a disk. Be careful not to drag your hands but to pat the dough instead. Don't let them rest on the dough or they will stick. If your hands feel sticky, wash and then re-coat with starch or the sticky on your fingers will stick to the disk and you will literally have a mess on your hands.
- I read of sticky horror stories on the web but honestly did not have any trouble with these. But then again, dough and I usually get along :)
- Once you have a disk, place in your filling, and then seal like a beggars purse.
- Dust off the excess and gently turn the mochi so that the seam is on the bottom. You can choose to put them on a starched plate or in cupcake liners.
- Let firm. They can be served room temp, chilled, or even frozen.
NotesMicrowave Chocolate Mochi (courtesy of Eleanor Urakawa and various tips I found on the web)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Babette's Test Kitchen
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More