- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 250g/10oz good, dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 250g/10oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for greasing
- 250g/10oz caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 150g self-raising flour (we used wholemeal self-raising)
- 250g beetroot, boiled until tender, peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a baking tin of approximately 20 x 30 x 3cm and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Break up the chocolate into pieces, cut the butter into cubes then mix them up a bit in a heatproof bowl. As the oven begins to warm up, put the bowl onto one of the shelves for a few minutes until the chocolate and butter starts to melt. Stir, and put back into the oven for a few more minutes to melt completely.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until combined, then beat in the melted chocolate and butter until smooth. Gently fold in the flour then the beetroot – be careful not to overmix or it will make the brownies tough.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top with a spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes. A knife or skewer pushed into the middle should come out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Don't be tempted to overcook them! Remove the tin from the oven and leave on wire rack to cool before cutting into squares.
NotesBe careful not to overmix or it will make the brownies tough.
I love the interesting combo of using beets...River Cottage has done it again!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More