- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/3 cups (11fl oz/340ml) heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cups (11fl oz/340ml) whole milk
- 185g (6oz) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped – I used 72% cocoa solids
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder – I used the latter
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup (1 ¾ oz/50g) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF.
- Have ready 6 size ¾-cup (6fl oz/180ml) ramekins and a shallow roasting pan.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the cream, milk, chopped chocolate and espresso powder and cook, whisking frequently, until the chocolate is melted and the liquid is hot – do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
- While whisking constantly, gradually pour the hot chocolate mixture into the yolk mixture. Pour the custard through a sieve place over a 4-cup (32fl oz/1l) glass measuring pitcher.
- Using a large spoon, skim off any foam and bubbles from the top*.
- Divide the custard evenly among the ramekins. Place the ramekins in the roasting pan and pour very hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake the custards until they are set but the centers still jiggle slightly when a cup is gently shaken, 55-60 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and leave the ramekins in the water until cool enough to handle.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Serve chilled.
- * I completely forgot the sieving/skimming thing. :S
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Gluten-Free and Delicious
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More