- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds sausage, Italian
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28 oz. cans canned tomatoes, hand-crushed
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaf
- sugar, dash
- allspice, dash
- Cut Italian sausage into bite size pieces, brown slowly in heavy pan or electric fry pan. Remove sausage and pour off fat.
- In a large, heavy saucepan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Saute onion for a couple minutes until it is transparent and add the garlic. Saute no more than 1 minute so the garlic doesn't get bitter.
- Put the sausage in the pan and stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper,bay leaves, sugar, allspice, and oregano. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer over low heat for 1 to 1.5 hours hours. Uncovering the saucepan for the last 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Taste, add more oregano and pepper as necessary, and simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti.
NotesThis is the best tomato-based spaghetti sauce I have ever had. If there is one recipe that brings back memories of my childhood, it's this one. Everyone I have ever served it to has asked for the recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More