- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds sausage, Italian
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 28 oz. cans canned tomatoes, hand-crushed
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaf
- sugar, dash
- allspice, dash
- Cut Italian sausage into bite size pieces, brown slowly in heavy pan or electric fry pan. Remove sausage and pour off fat.
- In a large, heavy saucepan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Saute onion for a couple minutes until it is transparent and add the garlic. Saute no more than 1 minute so the garlic doesn't get bitter.
- Put the sausage in the pan and stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper,bay leaves, sugar, allspice, and oregano. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer over low heat for 1 to 1.5 hours hours. Uncovering the saucepan for the last 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Taste, add more oregano and pepper as necessary, and simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti.
NotesThis is the best tomato-based spaghetti sauce I have ever had. If there is one recipe that brings back memories of my childhood, it's this one. Everyone I have ever served it to has asked for the recipe.
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Forever FOMO Cures: Photo & Cookbook from your Israeli Family
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More