Christina's Greek Apricot-almond Pastry
Why I Love This Recipe
A woman I met at a picnic brought this wonderful dessert. This is the recipe she gave me. She said you can use any jam/preserves but that she thought apricot tasted best with the almond flavor of the crust. I agree.
It's lighter than you'd expect by reading the recipe, a nice balance of buttery and sweet.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 lb butter
1 T almond extract
1 1/2 T vanilla
5 c flour
1 c sugar
2 cup apricot preserves/jam
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine butter, egg, extracts, flour & sugar. Spread 2/3 of dough in a 15x10" pan.
3. Spread dough with apricot jam.
4. Roll out remaining dough on a foured board. Cut into 1/2" strips. Lay strips atop pasta flora in a lattice pattern (all verticals, then all horizontals).
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min (until golden).
6. Cool & cut into 1 1/2 " squares.