BackstoryI have never been a big fan of rice cereal treats, but combine marshmallow with the lightness of cornflakes and I am in heaven. The original recipe was entitled Christmas Wreaths, but when you are making 80-90 dozen cookies for a party, time consuming tasks such as shaping the wreaths go out the window. That and the fact that you end up burning your fingers -- a lot -- so I simply spoon these out into cupcake liners, decorate with some cinnamon candies and call it Christmas Cornflake Holly.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2-3 teaspoons green food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups cornflakes cereal
- 1 (2.25 ounce) package cinnamon red hot candies
- Microwave marshmallows and butter on High for 2 minutes.
- Stir, then microwave on High for 2 minutes more.
- (This can be done in a double boiler if one doesn't have a microwave.)
- Add and mix quickly the coloring, extracts, then cornflakes.
- Drop by spoonfuls in clumps into cupcake liners and decorate with 3-5 red hots each.
- Store in airtight container or zip top bag.