- Cooking Time: Overnight
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThis is an adaptation of Alton Brown's Overnight Oatmeal from his Good Eats show.
I put this together every Christmas Eve so that when we are awakened bright and early Christmas Morning by my son, we have something ready to eat while he opens his presents.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 4 cups water (split 2 cups water/2 cups milk for richer taste)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (or whipping or whole cream)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbls butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients in crock pot.
- Set heat to low when you head off to bed as "visions of sugarplums dance in your head. Ready to eat early on Christmas morning.
- Serve in large bowls with more milk and brown sugar to taste.