- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 - 14
- Preparation Time:
- 8 cups angel food cake(homemade or purchased), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 bags cranberries, fresh or frozen thawed
- 3/4 cup cranberry juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups eggnog (homemade or purchased)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 pkg (3 oz) vanilla instant pudding
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- For Cranberry Filling:
- Combine cranberries, cranberry juice and orange juice in a heavy, medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil , reduce heat and cook until cranberries begin to burst (about 15 - 20 minutes).
- Add the sugar, the zest and the lemon juice.
- Simmer until a jellylike consistency is reached (about 20 - 30) minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in the cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Cool at room temperature.
- For Eggnog Cream:
- In a large bowl combine the eggnog and the sour cream. Add the pudding and beat until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Place 1/3 of cake cubes in the bottom of a 3 - 4 quart trifle bowl.
- Cover the cake with 1/3 of the eggnog cream and cover the eggnog cream with 1/3 of the cranberry filling.
- Repeat layering twice.
- Cover the trifle bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- At serving time, whip the heavy cream and ginger until they hold stiff peaks.
- Spread 3/4 of the cream over the top of the trifle (remove plastic wrap, first). Spoon the remaining cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tube and pipe rosettes around outside edge of trifle.
NotesThis beautiful holiday dessert looks like you spent hours on preparation; yet it is quick and easy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
MetroCooking Texas 2013
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More