- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 - 14
- Preparation Time:
- 8 cups angel food cake(homemade or purchased), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 bags cranberries, fresh or frozen thawed
- 3/4 cup cranberry juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups eggnog (homemade or purchased)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 pkg (3 oz) vanilla instant pudding
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- For Cranberry Filling:
- Combine cranberries, cranberry juice and orange juice in a heavy, medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil , reduce heat and cook until cranberries begin to burst (about 15 - 20 minutes).
- Add the sugar, the zest and the lemon juice.
- Simmer until a jellylike consistency is reached (about 20 - 30) minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in the cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Cool at room temperature.
- For Eggnog Cream:
- In a large bowl combine the eggnog and the sour cream. Add the pudding and beat until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Place 1/3 of cake cubes in the bottom of a 3 - 4 quart trifle bowl.
- Cover the cake with 1/3 of the eggnog cream and cover the eggnog cream with 1/3 of the cranberry filling.
- Repeat layering twice.
- Cover the trifle bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- At serving time, whip the heavy cream and ginger until they hold stiff peaks.
- Spread 3/4 of the cream over the top of the trifle (remove plastic wrap, first). Spoon the remaining cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tube and pipe rosettes around outside edge of trifle.
NotesThis beautiful holiday dessert looks like you spent hours on preparation; yet it is quick and easy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More