CHRUSCIKI- BOW KNOTS
Chrusciki- Bow Knots
- Cooking Time: 31
- Servings: 200
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 whole eggs
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4-5 cups flour
- melted Crisco, mixed with lard, if kosher just use crisco
- powdered sugar
Beat the eggs and egg yolks together until thick and lemon colored.
Add the melted butter, sugar, salt, extracts, citrus rinds, cognac, and sour cream and beat until creamy and smooth.
Add enough flour gradually to produce a thick, fairly stiff dough.
Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 8-10 minutes until the dough is elastic and can be handled easily.
Roll pieces of dough 1/8 inch thin (should be able to see through them) and cut into strips about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
Cut the ends on a diagonal. Slit each piece in the center and pull one end through the slit.
Heat the crisco and lard to 375ºF and fry the dough strips, until lightly browned (about 1 minute).
Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
(SHHHHHHHHHHH!) Sneak 1 or 2 while frying!