- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup applejack brandy or brandy
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored, cut into 1/3-inch-thick wedges
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound firm but ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1/3-inch-thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped
- lightly toasted walnuts
- 1 Cinnamon Pastry Crust, chilled (see recipe below)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Mix applejack brandy, dried currants, fresh lemon juice and vanilla extract in large bowl. Let mixture stand 15 minutes.
- Cook 3 tablespoons unsalted butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat until pale golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add apple wedges, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg. Saute until apple wedges are crisp-tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add apple mixture, pear wedges and 2 tablespoons cornstarch to currant mixture; toss to coat.
- Mix golden brown sugar, corn syrup, whipping cream and remaining 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in heavy small saucepan.
- Boil over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, stirring until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Add to fruit mixture. Toss to coat.
- Transfer warm filling to prepared crust. Bake 30 minutes.
- Tent pie with foil.
- Bake pie until apples and pears are tender and liquid bubbles thickly, about 45 minutes longer.
- Cool pie on rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.
NotesRecipe originally from Bon Appetit | November 1999 and is a favorite at the Pie Hole!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce