CHUCK'S CARAMELIZED APPLE AND PEAR PIE CINNAMON PASTRY CRUST: PUSHING DAISIES
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Cinnamon Pastry Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup walnuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut
- into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons (or more) ice water or chilled dark creme de cacao
- Blend flour, nuts, sugar, cinnamon and salt in processor until nuts are coarsely ground.
- chilled butter and vegetable shortening.
- Using on/off turns, process until coarse crumbs form. Add 2 tablespoons ice water or chilled creme de cacao.
- Process dough until small moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- Wrap dough disk in plastic. Refrigerate until cold enough to roll out, about 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on floured work surface to 12-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Press dough into dish. Fold overhang under. Crimp edges decoratively. Cover and chill until cold, about 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More