CHUCK'S TRIPLE BERRY PIE WITH CARDAMOM AND LATTICE CRUST: PUSHING DAISIES
- Servings: 8
- For Filling:
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 Tender Pie Crust Disks (see recipe below)
- Whipping Cream (for glaze)
- Vanilla ice cream or Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
FOR FILLING: Whisk 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and cardamom in large bowl to blend well. Add all berries, jam and lemon peel and toss gently to coat with sugar mixture. Let stand until berries begin to juice, about 20 minutes.
TO ASSEMBLE: Line baking sheet with foil; place in bottom of oven (to catch any potential spills). Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Roll out 1 pie crust disk on generously floured surface to 121/2-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Spoon filling into crust.
Roll our second pie crust disk to 12 -inch round; cut into thiteen 1/2- to 3/4-inch wide strips. Arrange 7 dough strips across filling, spacing evenly apart. Place 6 more more dough strips diagonally across first 7 strips forming lattice. Trim strips even with overhang on bottom crust. Tuck ends of dough strips and overhang under; press to seal. Crimp edges decoratively, forming 1/2-to 3/4-inch high standing rim above sides of pie dish. Brush lattice strips (not crust edges) lightly with cream. Sprinkle strips with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake pie 30 minutes.
Cover crust edges with foil collar to protect from overbrowning. Continue to bake pie until filling bubbles thickly in center, about 50 minutes longer.
Transfer pie to rack. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
TO SERVE: Cut pie into wedges.
Serve with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, if desired.