- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor.
- Add butter and shortening and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix 5 tablespoons ice water and vanilla in small bowl; add to processor and blend using on/off turns until mixture begins to form moist clumps, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into 2 balls. Flatten each into disk; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- Soften dough slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)
- FOR A PRE-BAKED PIE CRUST: Line the pie dish with crust; crimp edges and bake at 375 degrees F. until golden and baked through and piercing crust in a few places with fork if crust bubbles, about 30 minutes.
- Cool and then fill with your choice of already prepared fillings, such as mousses, cream fillings, or lemon curd.
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Nanci's World Famous Cannoli
Grilled Veggie Pasta Salad
Cinnamon Red Hot PicklesSee More