- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor.
- Add butter and shortening and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix 5 tablespoons ice water and vanilla in small bowl; add to processor and blend using on/off turns until mixture begins to form moist clumps, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into 2 balls. Flatten each into disk; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- Soften dough slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)
- FOR A PRE-BAKED PIE CRUST: Line the pie dish with crust; crimp edges and bake at 375 degrees F. until golden and baked through and piercing crust in a few places with fork if crust bubbles, about 30 minutes.
- Cool and then fill with your choice of already prepared fillings, such as mousses, cream fillings, or lemon curd.