- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAnother old family classic, this one is still served at every backyard barbeque. My sister still picks out all of the water chestnuts, and she's 30. While this salad is certainly old fashioned, it still has its charm. Great on a hot day for its cool, crisp flavors, it can be modernized too! Use darker greens if you wish, or cut egg yolks and use low-cal mayo for the dressing to lighten it up!
- 1 head iceburg lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 pkg. frozen peas
- 2 cans sliced water chestnuts
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbls. sugar
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 – 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Layer lettuce in the bottom of 9x13 inch glass dish. Layer celery and green onions. Layer with frozen
- peas and press down firmly. Mix mayo with sugar and spread over top. Cover and chill.
- Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bacon. Top with egg and tomato.