- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI make and give these for Christmas. Everybody will think they are apples, not cukes. I like to use them with pork, just like apples.
- 12-15 large cucumbers
- 2 gallons of water
- 8 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 Cup canning lime (or household)
- 3 Cups vinegar (white, 5% acidity)
- 1 Tablespoon alum
- 10 Cups sugar
- 1 large pkg. of Cinnamon Red Hots Candy
- 1 Tablespoon red food color
- Peel and slice cucumbers into slices and remove seeds.
- Soak overnight in 2 gallons of water and 1 cup lime. Next morning drain.
- Then soak 4 hours in clear water.
- Combine: 1 C. vinegar, 1 T. alum, 1 T. red food color.
- Add water to cover cucumbers.
- Heat and simmer 2 hours.
- Drain and make syrup of: 2 C. vinegar, 2 C. water, 10 C. sugar, 8 sticks cinnamon, and the Red Hots. Bring to a boil.
- Pour over cucumbers that have been packed into hot jars.