- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryBlogged at http://howtoeatacupcake.blogspot.com
Recipe from 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly.
MY NOTES: I omitted the nutmeg simply because I don't like the way it tastes. I replaced it with 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon. I used 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar instead of 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar in the crumble topping. I got 24 cupcakes instead of 18. Mine were done at 16 minutes. I only made half of the frosting recipe.
(The computer I usually scan the recipes to is currently not working, so I have to type them out... *whine*)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar (I just put 1 c. granulated sugar into a food processor)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (or cinnamon)
- 1 cup (about 2 large) mashed ripe bananas
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar (or 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, very soft
- 4 Tbsp. rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (I omitted this)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 banana, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place 18 paper baking cups in muffin pans. To make the topping, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix until well combined. Set aside. Combine the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and nutmeg in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the mashed bananas until well combined. Spoon the batter into the cups. Top with cinnamon-oat topping. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Remove pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove cupcakes and cool on a rack.
- To make the frosting, slowly beat the cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer until it is soft and smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat briskly until smooth and well combined.
- Store unfrosted in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months
- Makes 18-24