- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Cream one cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter; add egg and beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder. Add to the sugar mixture.
- Pat half the mixture into a buttered 8 x 8" baking dish; place apples on top.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of apples; dot with remaining butter. Top with remaining crumb mixture; bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- My notes: I softened the butter in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Ths would be even better with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream on top! :)
NotesWe went to the mountains last weekend and brought home a lot of apples. I was looking for a recipe in which to use some and just took this out of the oven....can't ya just smell it??? YUMMY!!
Source: Gooseberry Patch book, "Made from Scratch", 2001
Posted by: Catherine Ciotti, Everett, MA
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook 2014
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More