- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided use
- 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into 1 tbsp pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon grated or chopped lemon or orange zest (opt.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two heavy baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray or use a Silpat.
- In a food processor, combine light brown sugar, softened butter and 1 tsp of the cinnamon; pulse until soft crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl.
- In the processor, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and cold butter cut into 1 T pieces; pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. Transfer to very large bowl & make a well in the center.
- Combine cream, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon or orange zest; toss with flour mixture until firm dough forms. Crumble the brown sugar mixture over the dough and knead it into the dough, leaving some streaks. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto it and knead a few times. Divide dough in half and pat each piece into an 8-10 inch round. Cut each round into 8 wedges, then transfer scones to the baking sheets and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. (You may freeze them at this point, then store in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months.)
- Bake for 11 to 15 minutes or until browned.
- Spread or drizzle the icing on warm scones. (Heat icing just a bit for easier spreading)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More