- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided use
- 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into 1 tbsp pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon grated or chopped lemon or orange zest (opt.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two heavy baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray or use a Silpat.
- In a food processor, combine light brown sugar, softened butter and 1 tsp of the cinnamon; pulse until soft crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl.
- In the processor, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and cold butter cut into 1 T pieces; pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. Transfer to very large bowl & make a well in the center.
- Combine cream, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon or orange zest; toss with flour mixture until firm dough forms. Crumble the brown sugar mixture over the dough and knead it into the dough, leaving some streaks. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto it and knead a few times. Divide dough in half and pat each piece into an 8-10 inch round. Cut each round into 8 wedges, then transfer scones to the baking sheets and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. (You may freeze them at this point, then store in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months.)
- Bake for 11 to 15 minutes or until browned.
- Spread or drizzle the icing on warm scones. (Heat icing just a bit for easier spreading)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More