- Cooking Time: 60 - 80 minutes
- Servings: 8-12
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 125g Margarine or Butter
- 1 cup Water
- 11/2 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon (I use Dutch)
- 1 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Icing sugar (approximately)
- 2 tsp finely grated zest of an orange
- 1 tsp Margarine/butter
- Orange Juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC and line and grease a 20cm square cake pan.
- In a large saucepan, place the sugar, water, butter/margarine, cinnamon and bicarbonate soda.
- Place this over a gentle heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally and gentley boil until the butter/margarine is completely melted.
- Set this aside to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- When cooled (I mix it in the saucepan - but you can transfer to a mixing bowl) add the sifted flour and the eggs and beat until smooth (I do it by hand but you could use an electric beater).
- Pour into the pre-pared cake pan and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Or until the cake has cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from oven and let cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack.
- Ice when Cold.
- Place the icing sugar into a small mixing bowl with the zest and margarine/butter.
- Heat 1/4 cup of orange juice ( I do it in the in microwave) until hot.
- Using 1-2 teaspoons at a time add to the icing sugar mixture. Mix (adding juice as you need) until the margarine/butter is melted and the icing is a smooth spreadable mixture.
- Spread over the cake and let set for 30 minutes!
NotesI had to adapt a 'Chocolate Cake' recipe when baking for someone who was allergic to Cocoa based products. A friend suggested cinnamon instead... The end result was DELICIOUS!!! Now it is a personal favourite!!!
After some research I decided on an orange icing and the two flavours go hand in hand!!!