- Cooking Time: 60 - 80 minutes
- Servings: 8-12
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 125g Margarine or Butter
- 1 cup Water
- 11/2 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon (I use Dutch)
- 1 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Icing sugar (approximately)
- 2 tsp finely grated zest of an orange
- 1 tsp Margarine/butter
- Orange Juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC and line and grease a 20cm square cake pan.
- In a large saucepan, place the sugar, water, butter/margarine, cinnamon and bicarbonate soda.
- Place this over a gentle heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally and gentley boil until the butter/margarine is completely melted.
- Set this aside to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- When cooled (I mix it in the saucepan - but you can transfer to a mixing bowl) add the sifted flour and the eggs and beat until smooth (I do it by hand but you could use an electric beater).
- Pour into the pre-pared cake pan and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Or until the cake has cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from oven and let cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack.
- Ice when Cold.
- Place the icing sugar into a small mixing bowl with the zest and margarine/butter.
- Heat 1/4 cup of orange juice ( I do it in the in microwave) until hot.
- Using 1-2 teaspoons at a time add to the icing sugar mixture. Mix (adding juice as you need) until the margarine/butter is melted and the icing is a smooth spreadable mixture.
- Spread over the cake and let set for 30 minutes!
NotesI had to adapt a 'Chocolate Cake' recipe when baking for someone who was allergic to Cocoa based products. A friend suggested cinnamon instead... The end result was DELICIOUS!!! Now it is a personal favourite!!!
After some research I decided on an orange icing and the two flavours go hand in hand!!!
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More