- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1(1lb) loaf cinnamon bread (without raisins)
- 6 lrg eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1-1/2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1tsp vanilla
- 5 Tsp butter/margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- maple syrup (for serving)
- optional: sliced strawberries
- Spray a glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking oil spray.
- Cut bread into bite size cubes.
- Place 1-1/2 cups of cubes into qt-sized zip lock bag and set aside.
- Place remaining cubes into dish.
- Set aside.
- Whisk eggs well in medium size bowl.
- Whisk in half-and-half, milk, and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over cubes in baking dish. Press cubes down into egg mixture to make sure they are all moistened.
- Cover dish and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 8 hours and no longer than 24 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Just before baking, place butter in microwave-safe dish, cover with papertowl and microwave until almost melted, 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir until butter melts completely.
- Pour nuts into bag with reserved bread cubes. Pour melted butter into bag, seal and shake until bread and nuts are coated with butter. Uncover casserole and press bread cubes down with back on spoon to remoisten.
- Scatter bread-nut mixture evenly over to top. Use spoon to help distribute nuts and cubes evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, until lightly brown on top and puffed, about 45-50min.
- Let casserole stand 5-10min. before serving.
- To serve, cut into squares, place on individual plates and drizzle syrup on top.
- Serve strawberries on top or on the side, if desired.
NotesI got this recipe from my grandmother, who use to make this with her mother. It is so good. If you like french toast, you will love this. I hope you enjoy not only trying this dish but also making it with whoever bakes with you. I have a lot of fun just making it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Koken met Oma
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Poblano Macaroni and Cheese
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion DipSee More