- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 1 quart
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
BackstoryCreamy ice cream steeped with cinnamon sticks for a mellow, clean cinnamon flavor.
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Ten 3-inch cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- 1. Warm the milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon sticks and 1 cup of the heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Once warm, cover, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 2. Rewarm the cinnamon-infused milk mixture. Remove the cinnamon sticks with a slotted spoon and discard them. Pour the remaining 1 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
- 3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- 4. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (should reach 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer). Pour the custard through the strainer and into the cream. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
- 5. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, preferably overnight, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.