- Cooking Time: 10-16
- Servings: 12-24
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk (any fat content)
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted (*This is too much; 4 tablespoons would be enough.)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (1/3 cup would be enough)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (*3/4 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon would be enough)
- For cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until blended and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg, mixing until smooth and thick. On low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and mixing just until the flour is incorporated and the batter looks smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Bake just until the tops feel firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 16 minutes for regular cupcakes and 10 minutes for mini cupcakes. Cool the cupcakes for 5 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
- For coating:
- Meanwhile, put the melted butter in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, stir the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Carefully remove cupcakes from pan. Roll them in the melted butter, then in the cinnamon sugar to coat completely. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- The cupcakes can be covered and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.
NotesRecipe from Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More