- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 14 gr. fresh yeast, or 6 gr. dried yeast
- 300 ml warm water
- 0.5 teaspoon sugar
- 230 gr. plain flour
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 300 ml corn oil, for frying
- 8 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in half a teacup of the warm water, add the sugar to it, to activate, and let it stand for about 15 minutes in a warm place, until it starts to froth. The liquid must not be too hot as it will kill the yeast cells.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and empty the dissolved yeast or the dried yeast into it, mixing continuously. This can be done with an electric mixer.
- Start adding the warm water, beating all the time.
- The mixture should be thick but elastic.
- When almost all the water has been added (it may take 2-3 tablespoons less than the 300 ml), beat it for a few minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Cover it with a thick towel and leave in a warm place for about 2 hours, until it rises and almost doubles in size.
- Have a cup of cold water ready into which you can wet a teaspoon and also the fingers of your hand each time.
- Heat the oil until very hot but not smoking.
- Wet the teaspoon so that the dough will not stick on it, take a teaspoon of the dough, and, using your hand, push it down into the hot oil (take care not to burn yourself!).
- Within seconds it puffs up and rises to the surface.
- Repeat this process, wetting the spoon each time, for about 6-7 loukoumades at a time.
- Turn them over so they become golden all around - it only takes 1 minute.
- Take them out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve 4-5 loukoumades on each plate, pour a tablespoon of honey all over them and sprinkle on a lot of cinnamon.
- They should be eaten immediately and also they should not be left waiting once the syrupy honey has been spread on them.
- Loukoumades that are served cold and soggy have no relationship with real loukoumades.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More