- Cooking Time: 45 sauce/30 minutes cipp
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes to 45 minutes
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tsp dried hot red hot pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tsp of sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup red wine
- 1 (28 or 32) oz can whole plum tomatoes, drained, reserving juice, and chopped
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1-cup chicken broth
- 1 lb crab (king crab can be substituted)
- 18 small clams (1 ½ lbs)
- 1 lb skinless halibut filets cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 lb large shrimp (tails and bottom section can be left on or removed)
- ¾ lb of sea scallops
- ¼ cup of flat parsley
- 3 tbsp of chopped fresh basil
- Cook garlic, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and red pepper flakes with salt and pepper in oil in pot over moderate heat, stirring until onions are softened. Stir in bell pepper and tomato paste and cook about 1 minute. Add wine and boil until reduced by about half. Add tomatoes with their juices, clam juice and broth and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add crab pieces and clams to stew and simmer covered until clams are opened checking every minute after five minutes. Remove clams; discard any that did not open after 10 minutes. Lightly season fish fillets, shrimp and scallops with salt and pepper and add to stew, simmer covered about 5 minutes. Remove bay leave and stir in parsley and basil. Serve immediately.
- NOTE: Sauce can be created the day before, cool uncovered and then chill covered. Bring to a simmer before adding seafood.
NotesI am from the San Francisco Bay Area and we have some of the freshest fish in the states. I found this recipe 30 years ago (and i can't remember from weHere) and i have twiked it a bit.
i make this recipe every year for my family and friends to gather around and have a great time!!!
i think all will enjoy this as much as I have!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More