- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 15
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAfter making some cupcakes for my mum's work my dad insited that it wasn't fair and people at his work would enjoy them too! So since I didn't want to make the same cupcake again, as I love trying new recipes, I thought that a Citrus Burst cupcake would be nice. An orange cake with a lemon frosting topped with a lemon or orange jelly sweet. :).
- 185g butter
- 190g sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 185g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated (optional)
- 3 teaspoons orange extract
- 1.Preheat the oven to 170degrees celsius and line muffin tin with liners.
- 2.In a large bowl cream the butter and the sugar on a medium-high speed unitl pale and creamy, this should take about 3-5 minutes.
- 3.Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a few minuets after each to make sure they are combined. If any signs of curdling occur add a tablespoon of flour. If using zest include it with the last egg.
- 4. Sift in half the flour and beat or stir in unitl just combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and mix in extract.
- 5.Spoon mixture into cases and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then place on a wire rack and allow to cool for a further 30 minutes until frosting.
- Lemon Frosting
- 115g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 450g icing sugar
- 20ml milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- few drops of yellow food colouring
- 1.Cxream the butter, vanilla and salt together until light and pale, this should take about 2 minutes.
- 2.Add icing sugar alternating with the milk until the mixture is creamy and smooth beating well after each addition.
- 3.Beat in the lemon juice and yellow food colouring until desired colour and taste is achieved.