- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 15
- Preparation Time:
- 185g butter
- 190g sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 185g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated (optional)
- 3 teaspoons orange extract
- 1.Preheat the oven to 170degrees celsius and line muffin tin with liners.
- 2.In a large bowl cream the butter and the sugar on a medium-high speed unitl pale and creamy, this should take about 3-5 minutes.
- 3.Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a few minuets after each to make sure they are combined. If any signs of curdling occur add a tablespoon of flour. If using zest include it with the last egg.
- 4. Sift in half the flour and beat or stir in unitl just combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and mix in extract.
- 5.Spoon mixture into cases and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the centre and comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then place on a wire rack and allow to cool for a further 30 minutes until frosting.
- Lemon Frosting
- 115g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 450g icing sugar
- 20ml milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- few drops of yellow food colouring
- 1.Cxream the butter, vanilla and salt together until light and pale, this should take about 2 minutes.
- 2.Add icing sugar alternating with the milk until the mixture is creamy and smooth beating well after each addition.
- 3.Beat in the lemon juice and yellow food colouring until desired colour and taste is achieved.
NotesAfter making some cupcakes for my mum's work my dad insited that it wasn't fair and people at his work would enjoy them too! So since I didn't want to make the same cupcake again, as I love trying new recipes, I thought that a Citrus Burst cupcake would be nice. An orange cake with a lemon frosting topped with a lemon or orange jelly sweet. :).