- Cooking Time: 25-30
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 30
- For the Cake...
- 1 c butter; softened
- 1/4 c shortening
- 2 c sugar (superfine is best)
- 5 eggs (room temp)
- 3 c all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1 c butter milk
- 1/2 tsp Limoncello
- 1 tsp orange juice
- For the Frosting...Make this while the cake is baking
- and put in the fridge to set.
- 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tb orange juice
- 1 tb lemon juice
- 2 tb orange peel; grated
- 2 tb lemon peel; grated
- Set oven to 350 and prepare two 10” cake pans
- with non-stick spray or butter and lightly dust with flour.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Combine dry ingredients: add to creamed mixture alternately
- with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Add Limoncello and orange juice. Pour into cake pans.
- Bake at 350 deg. for 25-30 minutes or until cakes at a bit springy in
- the center and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire racks.
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla and orange juice
- until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar a little at a time
- And whip until it is velvety and light. Next fold in the grated orange and lemon peel.
- One hour before serving, frost the cake by filling the center lavishly. Then
- Spreading the rest generously over the entire cake.
- We dotted with small orange florets and added the Birthday candles
- That made a very festive presentation.
NotesWe had an important Birthday celebration for a favorite daughter of Jefferson’s Table. She is the one who helps welcome the guests and assists the Chefs. Her ability to chop is so refined even the most famous have remarked on her expertise. She has the kitchen so thoroughly memorized, she can bring out the most esoteric item instantly upon request. She makes sure the table is set perfectly with the distance of the flatware from the plate measured and the location of each goblet arranged in proper order. The ivory candles are straight in the sparkling silver candelabras and the flowers are always arranged with style. She performs the service of the delicious dishes with graceful hospitality. At the end of the event, she is the one who sees that all is clean, shining and restored to order. We all love and respect her for growing into such an accomplished and beautiful woman. So when we all knew she was having a milestone birthday we wanted it to be as much fun and as delicious as possible...something festive to take the sting out of the number 30? We made this wonderful cake and served it with simple vanilla ice cream and plenty of Champagne.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More