- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups fresh mint, rinsed, stems trimmed (about 6 large bunches)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons finely grated orange peel
- 5 cups cold water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups bourbon
- crushed ice
- 10 servings
- 24 hours 10 minutes 24 hrs prep
- Combine mint, lemon juice, orange juice, and orange peel in a large heatproof bowl.
- Bring 5 cups water and sugar to boil in large saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil until syrup is reduced to 5 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Pour hot syrup over mint and juices. Let stand 15 minutes. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and chill 1 day.
- Strain syrup into large pitcher, pressing on solids in strainer to release all syrup. Add bourbon, then 2 cups crushed ice and stir until ice dissolves.
- Pour bourbon mixture over crushed ice in galsses, garnish with mint sprigs.