- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 6 lb. littleneck clams, rinsed well
- 6 oz. pancetta, diced
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Working with 1 clam at a time, hold it over a bowl to catch the juices. Place the blade of a clam knife horizontally across the shell and squeeze to open. Using the tip of the knife, remove the clam meat by cutting it away from the shell; place the meat in a separate bowl. Strain the juices through a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl. Add enough water to the juices to total 5 cups. Coarsely chop the clam meat. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the pancetta until crisp, about 5 minutes. Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat, then melt the butter in the pan. Add the onion, celery, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute more. Add the potatoes, bay leaves and clam juice-water mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, Worcestershire, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Using a fork, lightly mash the potatoes against the side of the pot to thicken the soup. Add the clams and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the chives. Serves 8.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More