- Cooking Time: about 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried fresh rosemary
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 head green cabbage (1/2 pound), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, red-pepper flakes, rosemary, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn golden, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; cook until some of the liquid evaporates, 1 minute. Add potato, cabbage, cannellini beans, and 7 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in green beans.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; stir in garlic, if using, and basil. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
NotesWhat can I say? I love Everyday Food. This was really good, and since I had a ton of leftover veggies, I made another soup using the scraps the next week.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More