- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- THE RAGU:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces of white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, like Shiitake, Morel, Cremini or Oyster thinly sliced.
- 1 1/2 cup canned organic crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- THE POLENTA:
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. To make the ragu, heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook gently about 1 minute, or until very fragrant but not colored. Stir in the mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, until brown and juicy, about 7 minutes. Mix in all the other ingredients and partially cover the pan. Simmer 10 minutes, or until sauce is thick and aromatic.
- 2. To make the polenta, bring the stock and salt to boil in a medium size heavy bottom sauce pan. Very slowly drizzle in the cornmeal, whisking all the while with a wire whisk. Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to whisk the polenta until it is the consistency of soft mashed potatoes, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Remove the polenta from the heat. Whisk in butter and cheese ( you can cover the polenta and keep in warm for up to 10 minutes) On large plates or pasta bowls serve a mound of polenta topped with your mushroom ragu.
NotesFound this in a recipe book I'm reading called Vegetarian Classics, since I love mushrooms I want to store this recipe and share it here. If your not a fan of Polenta ( shame) you can of course use the sauce on pasta.
To me polenta is comfort food, love it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More