CLASSIC POLENTA WITH WILD MUSHROOM RAGU
Classic Polenta With Wild Mushroom Ragu
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- THE RAGU:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces of white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, like Shiitake, Morel, Cremini or Oyster thinly sliced.
- 1 1/2 cup canned organic crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- THE POLENTA:
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. To make the ragu, heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook gently about 1 minute, or until very fragrant but not colored. Stir in the mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, until brown and juicy, about 7 minutes. Mix in all the other ingredients and partially cover the pan. Simmer 10 minutes, or until sauce is thick and aromatic.
2. To make the polenta, bring the stock and salt to boil in a medium size heavy bottom sauce pan. Very slowly drizzle in the cornmeal, whisking all the while with a wire whisk. Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to whisk the polenta until it is the consistency of soft mashed potatoes, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove the polenta from the heat. Whisk in butter and cheese ( you can cover the polenta and keep in warm for up to 10 minutes) On large plates or pasta bowls serve a mound of polenta topped with your mushroom ragu.
To me polenta is comfort food, love it.