Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups mashed ripe banana (3-4 bananas)
¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 tablespoons dark rum
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
½ cup powdered sugar
1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
3. Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended.
4. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just moist. Stir in ½ cup coconut.
5. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake at 350º for 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and lime juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf.
Pairs Well With
I found this recipe in an issue of Cooking Light, and decided to try it because my family loves banana bread. It's a great twist on the classic version, and it's relatively healthy as well!