- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- Servings: Makes 24 cookies
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese delicate and buttery shortbread cookies made with coconut, lime zest, and macadamia nuts, make a fantastic lacy cookie, or, my preference, a great shell for some banana ice cream topped with lime zest and toasted coconut.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground coriander
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped macademia nuts (don't be afraid to use salted nuts)
- Special equipment - Mini Tart Shells
- If you want to get a little more flavor out of the lime zest, put the sugar and zest in the mixer bowl and, using your fingertips, work the zest into the sugar until the sugar is moist and the mixture fragrant.
- Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and zest on medium speed for about 3 minutes, or until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing only until the dry ingredients disappear. Add the coconut and nuts and pulse to incorporate them. There will probably be some dry ingredients in the bottom of the bowl--don't work them in with the mixer, just reach into the bowl and knead them in.
- GETTING READY TO BAKE: Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line mini tart shells with dough and press down until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick. Trim the edges and place on a baking sheet. Poke the dough with the tines of a fork several times. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and fromt to back at the midway point. The shortbreads will be very pale--they shouldn't take on much color. Transfer the cookies to a rack and cool to room temperature.
- Fill with ice cream, if desired.