- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is from Ina Garten. It is beautiful and very tasty. Everyone loves it. I did change a few things that I found worked better.
- 3/4 lb unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 extra large eggs (6 large)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 12 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 1/2 sticks softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon vanills extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 6 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 (9 inch) pans and dust with flour. May line bottoms with parchment or wax paper.
- Cream butter and sugar with mixer on med-high speed for 4 minutes or until light yellow and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each egg. Scrape bowl as needed. Add the extracts and mix well. May look curdled but it is OK.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer on low speed add dry ingredients alternating with the milk in three parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just blended. Fold in the coconut. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 35-40 min or until tests done. Cool in pans 10 min then remove from pans and put on a rack to cool for 45 min.
- For the frosting combine the butter and cream cheese with a mixer, add the extracts and mix well, but do not beat. Mix in the confectioners' sugar. Spread between the layers of the cake the cover cake with frosting. Press the 6 oz of coconut all over the cake.