- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryTry this over ginger ice cream and fresh pineapple!!!
- 2/3 cup palm sugar -- packed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemongrass -- tender part only, mashed
- 1 4" stick cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5/8 fresh pineapple -- cut into small tidbits, or mango or other tropical fruit
- 1 qt ice cream -- (or more, if desired) high quality ginger, coconut, or vanilla
- Grate palm sugar and measure. Place in heavy med. sized saucepan.Peel outer leaves of lemongrass and gently macerate the tender tip. Set aside. Heat palm sugar until it is melted and turns dark brown, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat. Add coconut milk and stir to blend. Add lemongrass stalks and stick cinnamon. Return pan to heat. Simmer mixture about 15 min., stirring often, until it thickens slightly. Make a slurry of cornstarch and water. Stir into caramel mixutre and stir until it thickens. Cool.