- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThere are two versions of Coconut pie... There is Coconut Cream and Coconut Custard... Granted both are very similar; However, Coconut Custard usually refers to a custard filling that is baked in the shell (such as a Pumpkin pie), while Coconut Cream refers to a custard or pudding cooked on the stove and once chilled, and posssibly lightened by folding in some whipped cream, is then poured into a pre-baked shell.
This is my favorite Coconut Cream pie recipe... if you like alot more flavor, the 1 cup of water can be replaces with 1 cup of coconut juice. I do like to paint the inside of the crust with a little white chocolate to keep the shell from getting soggy.
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ cup Cornstarch or Arrowroot
- The zest of 1 key lime plus more for decoration
- 1 1/2 tsp key lime juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 15 oz can Cream of Coconut; I usually use Coco Lopez
- 1/2 cup angel flaked coconut plus extra for decoration (toasted if you wish)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream plus additional for decoration
- 1 9-10 inch pre-baked pie shell
- Optional – 4 oz white chocolate; melted and painted on the inside of the baked crust (This will prevent the filling from making the crust soggy, over time)
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine water, cornstarch/arrowroot, lime juice and lime zest.
- Whisk until dissolved.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and egg yolk lightly.
- Add beaten eggs and Cream of Coconut to sauce pan, whisking until combined.
- Place saucepan over medium heat, whisking often until the mixture becomes thick (about 10-12 minutes)
- Pour mixture into a bowl to stop the cooking and cover with plastic wrap on the surface to prevent a skin.
- Chill for 2-3 hours until chilled through.
- Once the custard is chilled, beat the heavy cream, in a chilled stainless steel bowl, until stiff peaks form.
- Remove custard from refrigerator and fold in the coconut.
- Fold in the whipped cream in 3 batches (The first will lighten the custard enough to allow for easier folding of the second two additions)
- Pour into the prepared pie shell and sprinkle with additional (Toasted)coconut, lime zest and/or whipped cream if desired
- Chill for another 2 hours before serving.