- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese are very yummy and moist and if you are into coconut you won't find any better.
- 1 1/2 c cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 6 oz. unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 c sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 8 oz. sweetened flake coconut
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl, and set the bowl aside.
- Break eggs into a small bowl, add vanilla and almond extract and whisk lightly and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes). With the mixture running add the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and buttermilk by alternating between 1 cupcake flour and 1/2 c buttermilk (make sure you start and end with flour).
- Add half the coconut and mix until incorporated.
- Fill each cupcake liner with batter using a spoon or ice-cream scoop. The batter will be thick and should almost reach the top of the tin.
- Bake cupcakes for 25-30 minutes or until the tooth pick comes out clean from the center.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow them to cool briefly in pan before transferring them on to a wire rack to completely cool for 45 minutes. Each cupcake will seem greasy.
- Once cooled, generously frost them with the cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with remaining coconut.