- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and coconut extract and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- (Dry ingredients ... then buttermilk ... then dry ingredients ... rest of buttermilk ... rest of dry ingredients.)
- Fold in the shredded coconut.
- Using either a regular-sized muffin tin or a mini-muffin tin lined with cupcake liners, fill each liner about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove muffin tin to a rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cupcakes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
NotesThe original recipe uses vanilla extract and almond extract. As I am all about coconut, I have changed the recipe to vanilla extract and coconut extract in the cupcakes and coconut extract in the frosting.
Note: This recipe will make 18-20 large cupcakes or 50-55 mini-cupcakes. I prefer to make mini-cupcakes as they are quite heavy (what with all that yummy butter). Also the mini-cupcakes look so cute!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More