- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe original recipe uses vanilla extract and almond extract. As I am all about coconut, I have changed the recipe to vanilla extract and coconut extract in the cupcakes and coconut extract in the frosting.
Note: This recipe will make 18-20 large cupcakes or 50-55 mini-cupcakes. I prefer to make mini-cupcakes as they are quite heavy (what with all that yummy butter). Also the mini-cupcakes look so cute!
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and coconut extract and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- (Dry ingredients ... then buttermilk ... then dry ingredients ... rest of buttermilk ... rest of dry ingredients.)
- Fold in the shredded coconut.
- Using either a regular-sized muffin tin or a mini-muffin tin lined with cupcake liners, fill each liner about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove muffin tin to a rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cupcakes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.