- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 bunches green onions, wash and trim off root end
- 1-14 ounce can light coconut milk
- 3-4 Tbsp soy or tamari sauce (reduced sodium)
- 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic (find with Thai foods in the grocery store)
- 1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu (drain water and cut into 3/4 inch cubes)
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes (may use canned), cut into pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms (I use shiitake) - cut off stems and slice thickly
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped (find in the produce section of the grocery store or your garden during the growing season)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped greens of your choice (kale, collards, swiss chard, bok choy or spinach)
- salt to taste (I don't use any)
- Cut white and green part of onions into 2 inch diagonal pieces. Finely chop some of the green stems for garnish and reserve.
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, combine coconut milk, 3 Tbsp. soy sauce, brown sugar, curry powder, ginger and 1 teaspoon chili paste. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Then add tofu, tomatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms, basil, greens, and green onion pieces.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more or until veggies are tender.
- Adjust seasonings with soy sauce, chile paste, and salt.
- Garnish with reserved chopped green onion.
- Serve immediately.
- Very good served over brown rice. I use organic Basmati rice (nothing smells sooo good!) by Lundberg Farms. Served with whole grain bread, a green salad, and fresh fruit completes the meal.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More