- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 drops red or green food color
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Beat egg whites,cream of tartar & salt in 1 1/2 quart bowl until foamy.
- Beat in sugar,1 tablespoon at a time;continue beating until stiff & glossy.
- Do not underbeat.
- Pour into 2 1/2 quart bowl. Flod in almond extract,food color(if desired) & coconut.
- Heat oven to 300.
- Drop mixture by teaspoon-fulls about 1inch apart onto aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet.
- Place a cherry piece on each cookie.
- Bake just until edges are light brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from foil.