- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (7 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Creamy Vanilla Filling (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350, with racks set in upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Place 1/2 cup coconut into a small bowl; set aside. Place remaining coconut in a food processor; pulse until coarsely ground. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter with sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and ground coconut; mix just until combined.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons onto two baking sheets, 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dividing evenly, spread filling on flat side of half the cookies; sandwich with remaining cookies. Roll edges in reserved coconut, and chill until ready to serve.
NotesCoconut Sandwich Cookies (Originally published in the December 2007 issue of Everyday Food: A Martha Stewart Magazine)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More