- Cooking Time: 30 - 32
- Servings: many :)
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI took this cake to a class reunion planning date and everyone loved it. It was in Southern Living (Jun p. 143) magazine. If you like coconut this is absolutely wonderful. By Julie Stein, Birmingham, AL
- 3 large eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ⅓ cup water
- 8 ½ ounces cream of coconut
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 ½ ounces white cake mix
- Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces confectioner's sugar sifted
- 7 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
- Beat eggs at high speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes. Add sour cream, 1/3 cup water, and next 2 ingredients, beating well after each addition. Add cake mix, beating at low speed just until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 325° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Cover pan with plastic wrap, and freeze cake 30 minutes. Remove from freezer.
- Spread Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting on top of chilled cake. Cover and store in refrigerator.
- Note: If desired, cake can be baked in 1 greased and floured 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan for 30 to 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 15 servings.
- For frosting beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add milk and vanilla, beating well. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth. Stir in coconut. Julie Stein, Birmingham, Alabama