- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 40
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Extract
- 1 3/4 cups AP-Flour
- 1 cup Angel flaked Coconut
- Cream butter and sugar until light & fluffy
- Add Vanilla and Coconut extract and mix till combined
- Add flour knead by hand
- Knead in coconut
- You have 3 options at this point:
- - Refrigerate dough for 2 hours then roll out on a floured board and cut with cookie cutters.
- - Wrap in wax paper and roll into a cylinder, place in the freezer for 1 hour and slice into 1/4 inch rounds (This is my preferred way)
- - Press the dough into a shorbread mold and chill for 1/2 hour
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with Reynolds parchment for 25 minutes. (If you used a mold, check with the manufacturers directions for baking times, I have personally never used one.)
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container for 2 weeks.
- These will also Freeze very well if wrapped tightly to protect from moisture, for about 1 month.
- I make my Christmas shortbreads before Thanksgiving and keep them frozen until needed in December.
NotesMy mom use to make these when I was younger. I usually skip the Vanilla and Coconut extracts (Cause most coconut extract seems to be imitation) Instead I use 1 TB Malibu Coconut Rum. I just made these (Pictured) and instead of the malibu, I used 1/4 tsp Lime Oil and 1/4 tsp Fresh Lime zest along with the 1/2 tsp Vanilla... Delicious Coconut/Lime shortbreads.... I would also say that they would be just as good with lemon, especially if 1 side were dipped in White Chocolate.
Fueling a Firehouse
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More