- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 18 uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- APRICOT-PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Make a slit down inner curve of each shrimp,
- starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten.
- In a shallow dish, combine the
- cornstarch, salt and cayenne; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff
- peaks form.
- Place the coconut in another shallow dish.
- Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture; dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer,
- heat oil to 375°.
- Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients.
- Serve with shrimp.
- 6 servings
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More