- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 18 uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- APRICOT-PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Make a slit down inner curve of each shrimp,
- starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten.
- In a shallow dish, combine the
- cornstarch, salt and cayenne; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff
- peaks form.
- Place the coconut in another shallow dish.
- Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture; dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer,
- heat oil to 375°.
- Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients.
- Serve with shrimp.
- 6 servings
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
culinary karmaSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More