- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a recipe inspired by something I saw in a cooking magazine and has become one of our favorite dishes to serve dinner guests (with Chicken Pad Thai as a first course). The soup/sauce is what packs the spicy punch so if you don’t want as much heat, just spoon the solids over your rice without the ladle full of sauce.
- 1 can regular or reduced fat coconut milk (14 oz.), divided
- 1 ½ Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp packed brown sugar
- Approx 2 cups fresh or canned pineapple chunks
- 1 lb medium shrimp (shelled and devained)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
- Heat ½ cup coconut milk in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Stir in curry continue pressing and stirring until well incorporated for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in remaining coconut milk, broth, fish sauce and brown sugar.
- Stir in pineapple chunks and bring mixture to a gentle boil.
- Add shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes or until pink. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- Serve over rice