- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For the cake:
- 1 cup cold water plus 1 tablespoon
- 3 tablespoons Mexican coffee flavored liqueur (recommended: Kahlua)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (recommended: Folgers)
- 1 (16-ounce) box angel food cake mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (recommended: Hershey's)
- For the icing:
- 1 (1-pound) box powdered sugar, sifted (recommended: C and H)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- For garnish:
- 1 orange, zested
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the water, Mexican coffee flavored liqueur, and instant coffee in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until coffee crystals have dissolved.
- Add cake mix and cocoa powder and using an electric hand mixer, beat on low speed for 30 seconds; then beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Pour into an ungreased 10 by 4-inch tube pan. Bake in preheated oven for 37 to 47 minutes or until top is a dark golden brown, cracked, and not sticky.
- Remove from oven and immediately turn pan upside down onto a bottle until cooled completely. Run knife around edges of pan and remove cake from pan.
- For the icing: Whisk together all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until smooth. Pour icing evenly over the top of the cake letting it run down the sides of the cake. Let icing set for 1 hour. Slice cake and serve garnished with orange zest.