- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 4 loaves
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (16 oz) can pumpkin
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 4 (1 lb) coffee cans (may substitute 3 loaf pans or 6 mini-loaf pans)
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well blended.
- Divide the batter between the 4 coffee cans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the tops spring back when touched.
- Allow bread to cool for 10 minutes before removing from cans.
NotesBack in the '70's when I was still in high school, my sister's neighbor swore me to secrecy when he gave me this recipe for pumpkin bread. It was, and still is, the best pumpkin bread I have ever had. We baked it in coffee cans back then and I still do now, but occasionally I will bake it in mini-loaf pans as well. I have since seen similar recipes on the Internet, so I guess the cat is out of the bag...
L. Kayell presents: Cook with the WOW Characters of iN Education, Inc.
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY COOKIES
Tomato & Sweet Pepper SalsaSee More