COFFEE BLOND BROWNIES
- Cooking Time: 25 to 30
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate bits
Heat the brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter melts.
Dissolve the coffee in the hot water and stir in to the butter mixture.
Let cool to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and butter a 9 by 13-inch baking pan.
When the butter mixture is cool, beat in the eggs and vanilla with a hand-held mixer.
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and stir into the butter mixture with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the nuts and chocolate.
Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan with a rubber spatula.
Bake until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overbake.
Cool completely and cut into squares.