- Cooking Time: 25 to 30
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate bits
- Heat the brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter melts.
- Dissolve the coffee in the hot water and stir in to the butter mixture.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and butter a 9 by 13-inch baking pan.
- When the butter mixture is cool, beat in the eggs and vanilla with a hand-held mixer.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and stir into the butter mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.
NotesFrom the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook. So good! Somtimes I add a bit more coffee powder since I love the taste!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Fun appetizers and snacks
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion Dip
Chiles RellenosSee More