- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 5 TB cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 baked pastry shell
- Whipped cream
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Heat milk and coffee together.
- Add to cornstarch mixture gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook over boiling water until thick and smooth, stirring frequently (about 15 min.)
- Pour part of mixture over egg, blending throughly.
- Return to double boiler and cook 2 min. longer. Cool add vanilla. Turn into pastry shell.
- Cover with whipped cream.
- Makes 1 (9 in. ) pie.
NotesAn old recipe....from 1940 Culinary Arts Institute. I have not made this, but plan on it....I like coffee (and it said "make me"). (LoL)