- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage, cooked and chopped fine
- 1/2 cup butter (avoid corn oil margarines as they will not add the needed body and flavor)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or cream
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped very find and sautéd
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Saute onions (traditionalists saute in lard or grease, but butter is acceptable.). Boil the potatoes and mash them (do not use artificial potato flakes). In a large pan place all of the ingredients except the cabbage and cook over low heat while blending them together. Turn the heat to medium and add the chopped cabbage. The mixture will take on a pale green cast. Keep stirring occasionally until the mixture is warm enough to eat. Lastly drop in a thimble, button, ring, and coin. Stir well and serve.